IP address spoofing is one of the most common threats that internet users in today’s world have to face. Hence, it would be best to have a clear understanding of how to stay away from it. Then you will be able to refrain from all the negative effects that are associated with IP address spoofing.
What is IP address spoofing?
IP address spoofing will occur when a hacker keeps on sending IP packets to you through an IP source. However, the IP source will not be assigned to your computer. This is the most common technique used to carry out the man in the middle attacks. Moreover, we can often see how this technique is used to carry out DDoS attacks as well.
Through IP address spoofing, hackers will be able to get numerous tasks accomplished. For example, they can prevent all targeted devices from sending out information related to the attacks. On the other hand, the hackers who use the IP address spoofing technique can remain hidden in an efficient manner. They will be able to bypass all the security services and security scripts. Moreover, they will be able to mitigate all the DDoS attacks that they will come across through blacklisting the IP addresses, which are being used as the sources to create malicious traffic.
Different types of IP address spoofing attacks
There are numerous types of IP address spoofing attacks. If you want to keep yourself protected, it is important to clearly understand these different types of attacks carried out by hackers. Following are the most prominent ones out of them.
DDoS refer to Denial of Service. This kind of an IP address spoofing attack can occur when the hackers are focusing more on the consumption of resources and bandwidth. This is done by flooding the target machine by sending data packets as much as possible within a relatively short period of time. Then the target machine will not handle all the IP packets that are being sent on their way. Hence, the target machine can fail.
- Man in the middle attacks
Man in the middle attacks is another popular type of IP address spoofing attacks that we can find. Here, the two machines are communicating with each other, but the IP address spoofing hackers will be able to interrupt that connection and change the IP packets. This can be used to tamper with the communication that takes place between the two computers.
- Blind spoofing
During the blind spoofing technique, hackers will go ahead and transmit a large volume of IP packets in the target so that it is possible to receive a number series, which would usually represent assemble packets. Along with that, it is possible to get a better understanding of the intention to read packets. During this kind of attack, the hackers will not clearly understand how the transmission of packets would take place in the network. As a result, they come up with the need to coax the machine so that the machine can respond to all the requests they send out. Along with that, the hackers will find it an easy task to inject their own data into the packet stream.
- Non-bind spoofing
Non-bind spoofing is the complete opposite of bind spoofing. In here, the hacker will be on the same subnet as the target user. Hence, the hacker will be able to see the sequence of packet clearly. This can create an impact on session hijacking. Hence, the attacker will be provided with the opportunity to overcome all the authentication initiatives carried out at the time of initiating a connection.
How can you prevent IP address spoofing?
Now you are aware of how you can become a victim of IP address spoofing. Along with that, it is important to understand how to prevent IP address spoofing from happening. Here are some of the most effective techniques that anyone can follow to refrain from IP address spoofing and become a victim.
- It would help if you thought about using a network attack blocker. It is one of the most effective methods available to prevent IP address spoofing from taking place.
- You must ensure that you are using excellent verification techniques with all the remote access methods. This includes the systems that you are using on the intranet as well. That’s because an IP address spoofing hacker can remain within your intranet and carry forward the attacks.
- Another effective method to ensure protection against IP address spoofing is to authenticate the IP addresses associated with the inbound IP packets.
- You will need to go ahead and deploy an IP packet filtering system. It will be in a position to figure out all the discrepancies that exist. For example, it is possible to check and see if the IP addresses are matching with the ones that belong to the company network or not.
- Monitoring all the atypical activity that takes place within the network can deliver reliable protection to you against IP address spoofing as well.
- You should ensure that you are using a strong firewall to refrain from IP address spoofing. This is a reliable method available for you to keep yourself protected. A firewall is capable of accurately determining all the IP packets that come along with a spoofed address. Hence, you can allow the firewall to block all those IP packets. This is something that personal computer users, as well as enterprises, should be mindful of.
Keep these tips in your mind and act accordingly so that you can refrain from becoming a victim of IP address spoofing.