The previously released version was 1.6.8. And the new version is 2.0.0. That means, this is a major change, and there can be breaking changes, compared to the previous version (as most of the major version change releases are).
Ktor is a simple way introduced by JetBrains, to Create asynchronous client and server applications. Can be used for microservices or other HTTP client apps. This is open-source, lightweight, flexible, and benefits using Kotlin and Coroutine.
You can check the list of the changes at their GitHub release information: https://github.com/ktorio/ktor/releases/tag/2.0.0 , and much more details of it in the blog post: https://blog.jetbrains.com/ktor/2022/04/11/ktor-2-0-released/
Here is the brief of it:
Ktor 2.0 Server Changes:
- Simplified extensibility API, which makes the creation of plugins a lot easier.
- Kotlin/Native support for the Ktor server.
- Random port support.
- Improved testing API.
- Type-safe routing.
- XML Serialization.
- Subroutes for plugins.
Ktor 2.0 Client Changes:
- Simplified API for client.
- Built-in support for retries, including control over the time between retries.
- Content negotiation support. Which enables the server and client to negotiate which type of content will be served.
Ktor 2.0 is compatible with Kotlin 1.6.20.